The SATU Presidents' Forum International Secretariat launched the SATU Joint Research Scheme (or SATU JRS) in 2012 to provide a collaborative platform that facilitates academic research cooperation among SATU member universities. It serves as a matching platform where scholars from different SATU member universities can connect with like-minded researchers and form research collaborations together.
The JRS platform does not provide funding for the matched projects. Each host university may provide funding or alternative types of support to implement a given project.
The SATU Presidents' Forum International Secretariat works as a networking platform to connect the scholars who share similar research interests. The aim of JRS is to help integrate resources to increase the quality, quantity and global scope of the research being conducted at our member universities, with the goal of advancing the research achievements of the SATU community.
Investigators must be working at one of the SATU member universities throughout the entire JRS process and have a doctoral degree.
Acceptable topics include those involving Liberal Arts, Management, Sciences, Social Science, Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Planning & Design, Bioscience & Biotechnology, and Medicine in Southeast and South Asia, and multidisciplinary research. Each project consists of a team of researchers, including a Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-Principal Investigator(s) (Co-PI(s)) from SATU member universities.
The PI projects and the Co-PI applications will be matched as follows:
1. Call for PI proposals
In this stage, all academic members of SATU member universities are invited to submit their research project proposals via the PI proposal submission forms. At the end of this stage, the project information will be compiled into a PI project list .
2. Call for Co-PI applications
All academic members of SATU member universities can refer to the PI project list for projects which they would like to join as Co-PIs, and submit the Co-PI application form, in which they will be asked to indicate the code of the projects of interest, and provide a CV.
3. Matching - Co-PI application sent to PI for review and selection
When the Co-PI application period is over, each PI will receive a list of Co-PI applicants interested in joining his/her project. The PI will then be asked to review the Co-PIs' applications, and inform us of the Co-PI(s) s/he would like to work with.
4. Matching announcement
Upon receipt of the PIs' decisions, we will notify both the PIs and Co-PIs if the matching is successful. If the matching is successful, the PI and Co-PIs concerned will be provided with the contact information of all investigators in their respective teams. This is the point where the PIs and Co-PIs can start their collaboration e.g. start a discussion on research planning and implementation etc.
A list of matched projects will also be released on this website.
PI Research Project List
(Last updated: 19 April 2022)
The list of PI projects at the 2022 SATU JRS PI Project List is downloadable here. Once clicked, the download will start automatically.
Identify the project(s) you would like to join as Co-PI, and select their project code(s) when the Co-PI application is open.
Interested scholars can join the JRS as Principal Investigator (PI) and/or Co-Principal Investigator.
As Principal Investigators (PI)
To join the JRS as a Principal Investigator (PI), please submit your research proposal via the "PI Proposal" Form below.
Information needed when submitting the research proposal
1. PI's personal and contact information
2. Project field
3. The project's related UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Further information about UN SDGs: https://sdgs.un.org/goals
4. Project title
5. Project description (Plain text)
As Co-Principal Investigators (Co-PI)
The application as Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) will be open after the PI proposal submission period is closed.
Things to do before filling in Co-PI's application
1. Refer to the PI project list (to be available in due course at this webpage) for the code(s) of the preferred project(s). You will need to choose the code when filling in the application.
2. Prepare a CV listed with your publications:
a) All papers or works published in the past five years, including articles published in periodicals, books, conference papers, and technical reports.
b) List these papers and works in order of the publication date (latest publication on top).
*The application along with the CV will be sent to PI for review.
Last updated: 4 March 2022
The JRS platform does not provide funding for the matched projects. However, a number of SATU member universities provides financial support for their hosted projects. Here listed some of the funding schemes for JRS participants administered by the SATU member universities. As the list is not exhaustive, please feel free to check with your institution's international office or the SATU local contact for the availability of any funding opportunities.
Mahidol University Funding Plan for Principal Investigator (PI) Fellowship under SATU-Joint Research Scheme
MU will provide six (6) grants per year under the JRS scheme, each of THB 150,000.
1.1 To encourage international collaboration with SATU member universities.
1.2 To enhance MU's research output, academic recognition, and expertise.
2.1 MU PI
• Being a government officer, university officer, university officer (affiliated with faculty, college, or institute), or university employee, holding a position of lecturer, researcher, laboratory analyst, expert, or special expert and conducting research as full-time staff at Mahidol University
• Age not over 45 years old (upon 15th June of the year of application).
• Having completed a doctoral degree program (diplomas or the equivalent are not acceptable) within the past five (5) years (upon 15th June of the year of application).
• Being competent in research project management.
• Having an ongoing research project approved and funded by internal or external sources.
The ongoing collaborative research project between the Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) under the funded research fields in this Announcement is desirable.
• Being in good health without any contagious diseases.
• Having completed a doctoral degree program (diplomas or the equivalent are not acceptable); and being a lecturer, scholar, or laboratory analyst, affiliated with a SATU Member University in a country other than Thailand.
3. Research fields
Acceptable projects shall cover the following research fields: Life Sciences and Medicine; Natural Sciences; Social Sciences and Management; Arts and Humanities; and Engineering and Technology. Each project will consist of a team of researchers, including an MU PI and Co-PI from SATU member universities.
4. Terms and conditions
• MU PI must submit a research proposal via the SATU JRS Website (see the details below).
• After submitting the research proposal, MU PI who would like to receive the grant must submit the application form and required documents to the International Relations Division, Office of the President, Mahidol University (MUIR), from March to June 2022.
• MU provides financial support only for Joint Research Scheme (JRS) projects hosted by MU PI with Co-PI from SATU member universities outside Thailand.
• The projects proposed by PI should be matched with at least one Co-PI from overseas institutions, which are SATU members.
• MU will announce the result approved by the committee on MUIR's website.
• MU PI must sign a contract with MU accepting the full terms of the funding allocation.
• Upon signing the contract, MU will provide the grant (1st installment) to PI.
• To be eligible for the 2nd installment, MU PI must submit an acceptance letter for publication as the first author or corresponding author in a Q1 journal to MUIR. The submission of the acceptance letter must be within the grant period of each PI, but no later than 31st December 2022.
• The acceptance letter must be issued within the grant period.
5. Financial support
MU provides a lump sum payment for each MU PI, covering operational expenses, traveling expenses, and other necessary expenses.
The payment of the lump sum will be made in 2 installments:
a) THB 75,000 upon successful signing of the contract.
b) THB 75,000 upon submission of the acceptance letter for publication from the Q1 journal.
1. To join the SATU JRS as a Principal Investigator (PI), please submit your research proposal via the "PI Proposal" Form on the 2022 SATU JRS Website.
2. To apply for the MU PI grant, please send an email to email@example.com and CC to tassanaporn.hon @ mahidol.ac.th.
Enquiries: Ms. Tassanaporn Hongyon (Sea) at 02-849-6231
National Cheng Kung University (NCKU) offers funding to principal investigators (PI) of the 2022 JRS matched projects who are full-time faculties at (NCKU) that meet the eligibility requirements as stated below.
1. Funding Information
• The funding provides each successful applicant with financial support up to NT$80,000, which comprises operational expenses of NT$50,000 and device expenses of NT$30,000 for purchase of devices required for international exchange and collaboration.
• The maximum funding amount is NT$80,000 for each successful applicant, regardless of the number of JRS matched project s/he hosts.
• The application period is 19 May - 1 June 2022. The funding results will be announced on 16 June 2022.
• If the successful applicant also receives other NCKU funding in the same year, the Office of International Affairs reserves the right to adjust the awarded amount to the applicant concerned.
• The applicant must be a NCKU full-time faculty member (i.e. Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professors or Lecturers) and the Principal Investigator (PI) of a successfully matched project in the SATU President's Forum 2022 Joint Research Scheme (JRS).
• The applicant did not host any JRS matched project as PI* in the past 3 years (2019-2021).
• The applicant's JRS project should be matched with at least one Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) whose institution is located outside Taiwan.
• The applicant must be a young faculty by EITHER ONE of the definitions stated below:
• The applicant must be aged 45 or below (i.e. the date of birth is on or after 1 January 1977); OR
• The applicant obtained his/her first doctoral degree within 10 years (i.e. the date of certificate is on or after 1 January 2012).
*A faculty member would be eligible to apply if:
• s/he participated in the JRS in the past 3 years but were not matched in any project; Or
• s/he participated in a successfully matched project in the past 3 years, but only as Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI).
Enquiries: Ms Charlotte Li | Office of International Affairs | 06-2757575 #50960 | satu @ ncku.edu.tw
• Prince of Songkla University (PSU) will provide 5 (five) grants for Principal Investigators to support the 2022 SATU Joint Research Scheme (JRS). Each grant consists of THB 100,000.
• This scholarship is only for 2022 SATU Joint Research Scheme (JRS) hosted by PSU PI with Co-PI from SATU member universities outside Thailand.
2.1 For the Principal Investigators (PI)
• Holding a doctoral degree and a full-time lecturer position at Prince of Songkla University, with the status of either a government officer, university officer, or university employee.
• Being either a Thai national or foreign national at PSU.
• Having sufficient funding from internal or external sources to support the proposed research project, which must be an ongoing research project.
• The proposal must be selected by SATU JRS.
• Matching with the Co-PI, who must be full-time employees of SATU member universities outside Thailand.
3. Research fields
Acceptable projects may cover Liberal Arts, Management, Sciences, Social Science, Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Planning & Design, Bioscience & Biotechnology, and Medicine in Southeast and South Asia, as well as multidisciplinary research. Each project will consist of a team of researchers, including PSU PI and Co-PI from other SATU member universities.
Enquiries: Ms. Chongchit Ratyot, International Affairs Officer
Global Affairs and Corporate Communication Center (GACC)
15 Karnjanvanich Rd., Hat Yai, Songkhla 90110, Thailand
Tel: +66 74 446824
Email: psu-international @ psu.ac.th, chongchit16 @ gmail.com
1. SRM Institute of Science and Technology (SRMIST) will provide a stipend of Rs25,000/month for 3 years for any student from a SATU partner university who registers for a full time PHD with SRMIST.
2. For shorter visits from SATU partner universities coming under the JRS, whether faculty or research scholars, SRMIST will provide free board and lodging, visa support, free access to its laboratory infrastructure, internet, etc. Transport will also be provided from the airport to the university and back.
3. SRMIST will cover the international travel cost of its faculty participating in the JRS on a case by case basis, while the foreign host will provide free boarding and lodging on a reciprocal basis.
4. On a case-by-case basis, SRMIST will provide funding support to meet running and project related costs for in- India expenses.
Enquiries: Prof. B. Neppolian | dean.research @ srmist.edu.in | +91-8939327853 or Mr Kartar Singh, Director, International Relations, director.ir @ srmist.edu.in, +91-9440036003
Suranaree University of Technology (SUT) provides financial support for Joint Research Scheme (JRS) Projects hosted by SUT Principal Investigators (PIs) with Co-PI from SATU member universities outside Thailand, each of 200,000 THB.
• To promote and strengthen research collaboration between SUT and SATU member universities.
• To promote international visibility, research and academic collaboration for SUT.
2.1 SUT PI
• Be a full-time lecturer at Suranaree University of Technology
• Must have published at least 3 publications indexed in the Scopus or ISI international journals databases, or hold at least one patent in the past 5 years.
• Hold a doctoral degree and working at a SATU member university outside Thailand.
3. Terms and conditions
• SUT PI must submit research proposal via the PI proposal submission forms on SATU JRS Website. The deadline for proposal submission is on 24 March 2022.
• Upon submission of the research proposal, SUT PI who would like to receive the grant must submit their concept paper and SATU JRS application form to the Institute of Research and Development (IRD) at SUT from 15 March 2022 to 15 April 2022.
• SUT PI must acknowledge only SUT research grant support, and be the corresponding author of the publication.
• SUT provides financial support for SUT PI who collaborates in JRS projects with Co-PI from partnering SATU universities outside Thailand.
• Results will be announced by CIA website.
• SUT PI must sign a contract with SUT accepting the full terms of the funding allocation.
• Upon signing the contract, SUT PI will receive the 1st installment.
• The 2nd installment will be received upon submission of the progress report.
• SUT PI must submit an accepted paper published in Q1 or Q2 journal (for the first grant) or Q1 journal (for the second grant) indexed in the ISI or Scopus databases within 3 years after signing the contract.
4. Financial support
• SUT will provide a funding support for each SUT PI which covers operational expenses, travelling expenses) and other necessary expenses. The grant does not support any fees for conferences, workshops and project advisor allowance.
• The payment of funding will be made in 2 installments:
a) 1st installment (60%): 120,000 THB upon signing the contract.
b) 2nd installment (40%): 80,000 THB upon submission of the progress report.
Enquiries: Center for International Affairs | cia @ g.sut.ac.th | +66 4422 4143
1. Universitas Airlangga (UNAIR) provides financial support in the form of matching fund for JRS project hosted by UNAIR as Principle Investigators (PIs) or Co-PIs with the ratio of 1:2. Hence, Co-PIs receive only 50% of PIs funding.
2. To be eligible, these project should be matched with at least one PI or Co-PI whose institution is located outside Indonesia.
3. The funding will be provided for each PI, with details as follows: (1) PIs receive a maximum fund of IDR 100.000.000,- while Co-PIs receive 50% of the maximum fund, (2) funding will be provided in two instalments: a. upon successful matching, b. upon output completion of the research, and (3) the funding shall be used for operational expenses.
Enquiries: Niko Azhari Hidayat, dr., Sp.BTKV , Deputy Head of Institute for Research and Community Service of UNAIR |
niko-a-h @ fk.unair.ac.id / nikoazharihidayat @ gmail.com
1) Universiti Malaya (UM) provides financial support to selected JRS Projects PI (s) and Co-PI (s)
2) Financial support is from the UM budget distributed to UM Colleagues
3) To be eligible, these projects should be matched with at least one PI/ Co-PI whose institution is outside Malaysia especially from Taiwan.
USM MATCHING SATU JRS
1. Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) will support this programme under a Short Term Grant: Matching Scheme with fund up to RM40,000.00 (+/-USD8,000.00). Fund is subjected to internal evaluation and proposal assessment.
2. Our objectives are to encourage international collaboration with USM and SATU member universities and to enhance research output, academic recognition, and expertise among the members in the joint project.
3. USM Principal Investigator (PI) can apply internally but to be eligible, the project should be matched with at least one Co-PI whose institution (outside Malaysia and among SATU member universities).
4. Research areas must be aligned to achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Typical academic output would be joint publication in top tier journals.
Enquiries: Ms Juwita Sari Binti Abd Karim | juwitasari @ usm.my
The University of the Philippines (UP) provides support for the JRS projects via the World Expert Lecture Series (WELS), where PIs of UP’s JRS projects can invite their Co‐PIs to visit the campus as WELS’s visiting experts, in the form of conducting lectures, seminars, and making lab visits. Further details are available at: https://oil.up.edu.ph/oil‐programs/wels/
Enquiries: Ms. Chynna Riego | Hosting and WELS Program Manager | oilwels @ up.edu.ph